Morton Girl

About Me

My photo
Thrifty finds, DIY, and a soon to be Home Reno...

Welcome!

I love to find cheaper ways to do expensive things. Whether this be through Thrift-store-shopping or DIY decorating, I find a way to get it done. I NEVER shop in the regular priced area of a store. If I do happen to see something I love that is regular priced, I wait til it goes on sale. OR, i make it my own version of it. I love to paint and do crafts. However, being a mother of two and a night-shift nurse, I have very little time to do it. We are also in a rental home while we search for my forever home. So, I am LOVING the blog world right now as I find ideas for my new home. Be sure to follow me so I will know I'm not just blogging to myself. :-)

Friday, January 25, 2013

What's in a name?

I am a small town girl.  Maybe that's where I get my sense of nostalgia. I love anything with a story.  I love family trees, family names, and family history.  In prepping for this blog post, I read that "nostalgia can become unhealthy"...haha! OK.  I promise to keep my Nostalgia under control...

 (www.dictionary.com defines nostalgia as )...

nos·tal·gia

[no-stal-juh, -jee-uh, nuh-] Show IPA
noun
1.
a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.
 
Well, I love the thought of my future home being filled with family heirlooms, photos containing great family memories...you get the picture.  Well,  as I was thinking about this, I thought, "you know, instead of just an 'M' on my future gallery wall, I want something 'Morton'."  That's what led me to good old Etsy. So,  in the search bar, I typed "Morton".  UMM...guess how many "morton" items there were?  Go ahead, guess....1088!!  How fun!!  Of course there was Morton Salt memorabilia.  But, SO much more.  I have posted some of my favorites below.  So,  then,  I thought, "Well, OLIVER (my maiden name), has to get some play time as well".  So, I typed "Oliver" in the search bar.  WOW...almost 90,000 items!  Well, most were "olive".  So, I changed to just vintage and still   13,363 items.  How fun!!  I am posting some of my faves below as well. 
 
Anyway, I just wanted to share my neat finds with you.  And, I wanted to encourage you to explore your sense of No-stal-juh too!
 
This gal...she would be framed in a cool frame in the kitchen.  I mean, "morton like the salt" is how I tell people my last name 99 % of the time. "what's your last name?"  me: "morton"  "huh?, norton?"  me: "NO, MOR-TON, like the salt"
 
 
 
 
This book.  Definitely a coffee table book. We could make up some story like "Madge was really my husband's grandmother.  And, someone wrote a fiction  book about her".  Ok, we wouldn't do that. 
But, it would make for good conversation.
 
 
 
 
Apparently, Morton pottery was pretty big back in the day.  Etsy has LOTs of awesome pieces.  I WILL have to shop more for this.  How cool?!?
 
 
And, lastly, these Morton Arboretum is a place in Illinois with significant history.  These are vintage postcards from there. The arboretum was established on 14 December 1922 by Joy Morton, founder of the Morton Salt Company.[5] Joy Morton's Thornhill Estate, established in 1910, formed the basis of the Arboretum's original area. Mr. Morton's father Julius Sterling Morton was the founder of Arbor Day.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
OK. I'll be honest...The OLIVER search wasn't as fun as the Morton search.   But, nonetheless...THIS guy would be  neat framed as part of a Gallery wall...
 
 
 
 
You KNEW some Oli twist would a mention. Coffee table?  I think so.
 
 
NOW, THIS is cool!  The OLIVER typewriter. SO pretty!  And, SO expensive :-o  But, here's what wikipedia has to say about it...The Oliver Typewriter Company was an American typewriter manufacturer headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. The Oliver Typewriter was the first effective "visible print" typewriter, meaning text was visible to the typist as it was entered.[2] Oliver typewriters were marketed heavily for home use, utilizing local distributors and sales on credit. Oliver produced more than one million machines between 1895 and 1928 and licensed its designs to several international firms.
 
 
 
 
Well, I hope I didn't bore you to death.  I would LOVE to hear what you find if you search for some FAMILY name "stuff".  Next post...back to crafts and furniture...
 
Kelli

No comments: